Main content | back to top
Energy 4 Seven Billion
Shell Canada’s operations produce enough energy each day to meet the world’s oil demand for more than four minutes. That may not sound like much, but it is an important contribution – it is more than four minutes of energy for the entire world each day.
Shell has been operating in Canada for over 100 years. Our business is providing energy to Canadians and people around the world, and we are one of the few truly integrated oil and gas companies in Canada. This means we do everything from exploring for oil and gas, production, refining, the manufacturing process, and delivery to our customers at over 1,200 retail stations across Canada. At Shell Canada we are continuously looking for ways to deliver that energy in the most responsible way.
Many think of their connection to energy in terms of heating their home or fueling their cars. But did you know that energy factors into almost everything we do?
Creating and using energy impacts the environment. Shell strives for a balance between economic prosperity, social performance and environmental integrity. We all need energy in our lives, and we also need to find ways to use it more responsibly. A first step is to understand the role energy plays in our lives, and from there find ways in which we can try to use it more wisely. We invite Canadians to think about the part energy plays in their daily lives.
People from across Canada have shared their dream energy experience for a chance to win $25,000 toward making it a reality. The contest is now closed, but you can still explore all the amazing entries, and see the many ways energy is involved in making each unique experience happen.
- Every day, our operations produce enough energy to power the city of Vancouver for eight days.
- Shell Canada’s operations produces enough energy every day for a Boeing 747 to fly 86 times around the world, or enough energy to run 87 million hot showers. That’s enough for all 35 million Canadians to have 2.5 hot showers per day.
- We’re building the world’s first carbon capture and storage project for an oil sands operation.
- At our Sarnia Refinery, our Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) plant, for example, supplies approximately 90% of North America’s pharmaceutical grade IPA.
- Over 1200 Retail Stations and serving 500,000 customers daily. On a daily basis, 375,000 gas tanks are filled at these stations. On that equivalent amount of gas, you could drive to the moon three times!
* Based on 2013 total bbls of production from Shell wholly-owned and joint venture oil operations in Canada, as % of 2013 world petroleum consumption published by the U.S. Energy Information Administration.
Dream Energy Experiences
Read about Shell's Carol Elliott and Cam Brewington, and their dream energy experiences
- 18 Dec 2015 Shell Place opens its doors
- 15 May 2015 Shell’s Caribou Habitat Restoration Project
- 17 Sep 2014 Meeting the world’s energy demand: The faces of energy
- 26 Aug 2014 Energy Saved My Life
- 11 Aug 2014 Power to the People
- 28 Jul 2014 Six Road Trips Across Canada Worth the Gas
- 14 Jul 2014 Powering Canada’s Summer Music Festivals