Tips to apply successfully
Learn more about the various steps and processes involved when applying for position at Shell, and discover some top tips to help you succeed.
Make the most of your CV
Your CV is a key step in any application process. It is the platform to present yourself and demonstrate your achievements.
Here are a few handy tips to help you present yourself in the best possible way:
- Make sure your CV is up to date
- Try to restrict it to two pages and keep the layout simple
- Use headings like ‘Education’ and ‘Career history’ to highlight different sections
- Don’t make general statements about yourself – support them with evidence. For example, explain what you have done that illustrates the qualities you have
- Try to link your skills and experience to the requirements of the role you’re applying for
- Make sure you have an updated LinkedIn profile to make filling the application form faster.
Personal details: Your full name, email address and phone number are most important. You’ll also want to make sure the full name you provide is the same full name written in other official documents.
Educational details: List these in reverse chronological order, with your most recent education first. Include the name of the institutions, the dates you were enrolled, and the qualifications you obtained or will obtain when you graduate. You may want to list the relevant modules, the projects and dissertations you delivered, the grades you have achieved, and professional skills you have developed.
Career history and professional experience: Whether they’re paid, voluntary or shadowing, all experiences count! Present these in reverse chronological order with dates to show how long you remained in a particular role. Mention what you achieved and the skills you developed.
Achievements and outside interests: Include this information to show that you’re a rounded person with a balanced approach to life. Focus on recent examples, describing what you contributed and learned, and how you did this.
Find an opportunity in your location by using the search bar then complete your application online – note you can save time by connecting your LinkedIn profile. Before applying, make sure you are eligible to work in the country where the program is basedPlease note that your assessment outcome is valid up to 12 months (1 year). Therefore, if you re-apply after an unsuccessful application within the specified timeframe, it will be automatically regretted. Similarly, a new application after a successful one within the same timeframe will be automatically progressed. The application shouldn’t take more than 5-10 minutes.
The Stage 1 of the assessment has two levels – a. Stage 1: Online assessments, and b. Stage 1: On-Demand Video Interview. If you successfully clear the Stage 1: Online assessments, then you would receive an invite to take the Stage 1: On-Demand Video Interview.
Stage 1: Online assessments
- Although you’re given 5 days to complete the assessments, we encourage you to complete them as promptly as you can, preferably within 3 days
- Before getting started, check to make sure you are using one of the following supported Internet browsers:
- Internet Explorer 9+, latest version of Firefox, Chrome and Edge on Windows 7+
- Latest version of Safari on Mac OS
- Latest version of Safari on iOS (10" iPad recommended)
- Latest version of Chrome on Android (~10" device recommended).
- Make sure you are in the right frame of mind to take the test (motivated, focused, not tired or stressed)
- It is recommended that you take this assessment on a large screen tablet, desktop or laptop
- If English isn’t your first language you may want to have a search engine on quick tab available
- Ensure you choose a quiet place and time to take the assessments
- Ensure you read the questions properly
- Don’t get spend too much time on one question. You can always go back!
Online Assessment 1: Timed cognitive test
This will be a timed test that is divided into three sections, covering verbal skills (24 questions), numerical skills (16 questions), and abstract reasoning (10 questions), respectively. You would have 4 minutes to complete each section.
- Keep an eye on the timer
- A calculator is allowed and is recommended
- Take the online assessment practice tests: practice test 1 and practice test 2.
- For the numerical/ quantitative test, you will probably want to use a pen, paper and a calculator as you will be required to make calculations (e.g. multiplications, percentages, ratios, etc.)
Online Assessment 2: Working style assessment
This will not be a timed assessment, and generally only takes 10-12 minutes to complete. This segment will assess your approach to working and your preferred behaviour. There are no right or wrong answers, so simply pick the option that feels most natural to you. We celebrate and value diversity at Shell, so we encourage you to be yourself, when responding.
- Before starting, take some time to consider examples of how you’ve worked successfully in the past
- Don’t try to second-guess what Shell is looking for. Above all, we want you to have integrity; be authentic and confident of your opinions.
On the basis of your performance in the Stage 1 Online assessments, if you are successfully shortlisted, then you would receive an invite to the Stage 1 On-Demand Video Interview (ODVI). Altogether this will take about 20 minutes, and will need to be completed within 10 days of receiving the ODVI invite.
Stage 1: On-Demand Video interview
This short, self-recorded video interview is an opportunity for you to tell us about yourself. You will be asked 5 questions in all, and after each question, you will be given time to think and then to respond. From the day of receiving the invite, you will have 10 days to complete this interview. We recommend that you complete this within 5 days.
- Choose somewhere quiet with a good internet connection
- Test your webcam and microphone
- Make sure the area is well-lit and you can clearly be seen
- Preferred browsers are Chrome, Firefox or Safari (latest version). Click here for more information on the system and internet speed requirements. Click here for more information on the system and internet speed requirements
- Reflect on why you’re applying and what your standout experiences are. Be ready to talk about these in an engaging way
Stage 2: Final Assessment
- Test your system one day before the actual interview. You may use the Virtual Interview Lobby for this purpose by entering it before your scheduled interview time.
- Use the Hirevue Specifications page to ensure your device meets the required specifications for this stage.
- Take the time to really familiarise yourself with the case study that you will be given prior to the interview (around 90-120 minutes should be sufficient).
- Be prepared to deliver a presentation to your assessors and answer any questions they may have.
- The assessment will last up to 2 hours and 30 minutes. Please plan ahead to ensure you are not disturbed and fully prepared.
- Don’t worry that the assessment will cover technical knowledge. Focus instead on demonstrating things such as your analytical capacity, drive and enthusiasm, decision-making, and ability to effectively communicate and collaborate at all levels.
- Do your homework by researching Shell and gaining familiarity with Shell operations, projects, sites and values.
- Learn about the capacity, achievement and relationship criteria we use to assess candidates.
- When you’re being interviewed, think carefully about the question. Gather your thoughts before you answer – don’t just dive in.
- Frame your answer to provide evidence of what the interviewer is looking for. Always focus on what you have done. Always be enthusiastic about your achievements.
- Keep your answers relevant to the question. Provide sufficient background information to set the scene, but be careful not to wander away from the question.
- Think of some questions in advance to ask at the end of the interview so you conclude on a positive and inquisitive note.
We hope your application is the first success of many to come in your career. Remember that we want you to do well! Good luck.
Your Guide to the Shell On-Demand Video Interview (ODVI) | Shell Careers
Title: Shell On-Demand Video Interview (ODVI)
An applicant’s guide to undergoing the Shell On-Demand Video Interview (ODVI) process.
[Background music plays]
Gradually rising of intro music
Shell On-Demand Video Interview (ODVI)
Everything you need to know about the Shell On-Demand Video Interview
The video host Azura appears and starts speaking into the camera
Hey there! Hope you are as thrilled as we are that you made it to the On-Demand Video Interview stage or ODVI for short
The process is actually quite simple, and can be broken down into these easy steps.
Footage of someone turning off a TV with the remote control.
Find a quiet place
First off, find a nice quiet place for the interview
A mobile phone is seen being muted and locked.
Mute your phone
A male cast member shuts off an electronic speaker.
So your responses will be clearly heard
[Background music fades out]
Accompanied by a “swoosh” sound
The male cast member begins looking for a Wi-fi connection around the living room and performs a fist pump when he finds a strong connection.
Also, make sure you have a strong internet connection
A male cast member wearing a white dress shirt casually sits on a chair before his online interview.
It’s good to be prepared for the interview
Camera pans down on the male cast member to reveal he is actually wearing yellow board shorts. Male cast member is shown smiling.
A female cast member sits on a sofa with a notepad thinking deeply and then starts before writing something down.
Why? When? How? Who? Where?
Know why you are applying and share examples of stand-out experiences
Accompanied by a “swoosh” sound
A female cast member wearing a hijab is seen being engaging during an online interview on her laptop.
Be engaging as this will give you an advantage
A close-up shot of a female interviewer from Shell. The camera zooms out to reveal footage of 5 other interviewers from Shell.
During the interview, you will get a series of questions from recent Shell graduate hires.
Loud heartbeat sound
A male cast member who is visibly sweating adjusts his shirt collar feeling uncomfortably.
But don’t sweat it!
An animated clock appears on screen with the number “30”. Half of the yellow-coloured face of the clock turns white to indicate that the applicant has 30 seconds.
For each question, you will have 30 seconds to prepare your answer
2 male cast members; one dressed as a coach with a whistle and stopwatch and another acting as the candidate who is about to be interviewed online via his desktop computer. The coach blows the whistle and starts his timer and the candidate begins to speak confidently facing the screen of the desktop computer.
And a total of 3 minutes to record yourself.
A female cast member, who is sitting behind a desk, nervously flips through a pile of papers on her desk.
When answering the questions just relax!
The same female cast member is now seen confidently delivering an interview on her laptop.
We just want to know what you already know and how awesome you really are!
Close-up of Azura speaking
Simply be confident and overall be yourself. You've got this!
A female cast member sitting behind her desk does a small dance in her seat while looking at her laptop to celebrate a successful online interview.
A male cast member sitting behind his desk does a small dance in his seat while looking at his laptop to celebrate a successful online interview.
[Azura Voice Over]
That's it! Time to celebrate. We’re sure you did well.
A female cast member sitting on a couch with her laptop celebrates a successful online interview making a fist pump gesture.
A female cast member sitting behind a desk with her laptop raises her arms in the air to celebrate a successful online interview.
Azura speaks directly to the camera. An animated clock appears on-screen indicating 20 minutes.
The process will only take 20 minutes
Sound easy? That's because it is! To recap,
First, find a quiet place
Find a quiet place
Video footage of someone pressing the Off button on a large electronic speaker.
Ensure you have a strong internet connection
Have a strong internet connection
Footage of a LAN cable being plugged into the back of a Wi-Fi router.
When answering the questions, just relax and be engaging
Relax and be engaging
Footage of female cast member sitting behind a desk clearly being engaging in an online interview via her laptop.
You'll have 30 seconds to prepare each answer and 3 minutes to record them
30 seconds to prepare 3 minutes to record
Footage of someone holding a digital stopwatch with the timer running.
Get comfortable and be yourself.
Get comfortable and be yourself
A female cast member sits on a couch comfortably answering the interview questions.
Close up of Azura speaking directly into the camera
That’s it! I hope this video helps you understand and prepare for the ODVI process. After you complete your ODVI, you will receive instructions for the next steps based on the results of the assessments. Best of luck, we’re rooting for you!