Classroom Energy Diet Challenge
Welcome to the Classroom Energy Diet Challenge, an award-winning energy literacy program where students K-12 compete for more than 100 prizes totaling $45,000.
What is the Classroom Energy Diet Challenge?
The Classroom Energy Diet Challenge is a national energy literacy contest sponsored by Shell Canada and presented by Canadian Geographic to inspire and educate youth on how energy is used and their role as responsible energy consumers.
The Challenge is a free competition among Canadian Kindergarten to Grade 12 classrooms that aims to increase energy literacy and awareness. Throughout the challenge period (February 1 – April 23, 2021), classrooms work together to complete 17 energy-themed challenges designed to teach students about different energy topics and increase their overall energy awareness. Each classroom can select the number of challenges to complete and the order to complete them in based on the needs of their classroom.
There are a total of 17 classroom challenges, each dealing with a different energy-related theme.
Here’s how it works:
- As a class, learn about 1 of the 17 energy topics using the provided lesson plans.
- Have students complete the activity provided in the lesson plan.
- Upload proof of completion of the challenge outlined in the lesson plan (e.g., photos, worksheets) to the challenge website.
- Complete a minimum of three challenges and be automatically entered to win cash prizes for your class! The more challenges your class completes, the more opportunities you have to win.
Only classrooms that have successfully registered by January 25, 2021 can participate in the 2021 Challenge.
What is the Video challenge?
One of the 17 challenges asks students to flex their creative muscles as they write, direct and produce a public service announcement about the importance of energy awareness. After uploading their video to the contest website the class must engage with the public to get as many votes as possible during the voting period (April 1 to 23, 2021). Winning video submissions will be chosen through a combination of public voting and evaluation by a panel of judges.
- ONE HOUR, NO POWER: Students will discover how productive they can be without using any power at school or at home.
- WHAT’S OLD IS NEW: Students will create art in class or at home made entirely out of clean, recycled materials.
- ROUND AND ROUND IT GOES: Students will explore the circular economy and take a closer look at programs that are seeking to reduce waste.
- TAKE HOME: Students will work with their families to calculate (approximately) the amount of items they save from landfill in a week by using reusable items.
The challenges are designed for easy completion by both face-to-face and virtual classrooms and can be completed in any order and at any pace (as long as all proof is submitted by the challenge deadline).
For more information or to register a classroom visit: www.energydiet.ca.
More in sustainability
You might also like
Shell is proud to be a long-time supporter of Indspire. For over thirty years we have been investing in post-secondary scholarships and programming. “Photo provided courtesy of Indspire”
A three-day, family-friendly, free weekend to discover, think, create, with hands-on activities celebrating science, technology, engineering, math and energy.