Learn how the patented and exclusive Shell Gasoline Cleaning System cleans and protects intake valves and fuel injectors from performance-robbing gunk. So no matter what you drive, no other gasoline protects your engine better than Shell Gasolines.
Shell Gasolines Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I use Shell Gasoline?
- It is the only gasoline that contains the patented and exclusive Shell Gasoline Cleaning System
- Extensively tested for more than half-million miles in various engines and vehicles
- Actively cleans performance-robbing gunk from intake values and fuel injectors
- Acts like a protective barrier to shield fuel injectors and intake valves against future gunk build up
- Exceeds the stringent requirements of the world’s top automakers – Audi, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota and Volkswagen – and is certified as a TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline
- No other gasoline protects better!
Why does Shell continue to develop new fuels?
Shell is dedicated to continuous product improvement and innovation. Advanced engine technologies are coming to the market, and consumers are keeping their cars longer. Consumers are becoming increasingly conscious about the quality of the products they put into their vehicles because they want to protect their second largest investment. Hence, the increased need for a gasoline that can protect critical engine parts.
Shell Gasoline provide 20 percent more active cleaning agents than before, and are designed to protect engine’s intake valves and fuel injectors from performance-robbing carbon deposits or “gunk”. So no matter what you drive, no other gasoline protects your engine better than Shell Gasoline in ALL three grades.
At Shell, we have an extensive research program dedicated to continuous product improvement and innovation, striving to provide drivers with gasolines that can improve their vehicles’ performance. Our experts spend countless hours listening to consumers to better understand their needs.
We also work with the industry, such as auto manufacturers, allowing Shell to understand the needs of changing vehicle technologies and driving product development for improved performance. With Shell Gasolines, consumers can enjoy an improved cleaning system in ALL three grades of gasoline (Bronze, Silver and Shell V-Power® NiTRO+).
What vehicles benefit the most from using Shell Gasoline (sports cars, compact cars, trucks/SUVs)?
No matter what you drive, Shell Gasoline works in all types of engines, both conventional and modern.
In conventional engines, the unique, patented Shell Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System cleans and protects intake valves and fuel injectors, so the engine can perform at its best. In modern engines, like direct injection and turbo-charged, fuel injectors are subject to greater heat and pressure, which can cause a breakdown of cleaning agents. The Shell Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System is designed to maintain thermal stability and work under extremely hot engine temperatures, actively protecting against performance-robbing gunk.
You said Shell Nitrogen Enriched helps improve engine performance as you drive. What does this mean?
The Shell Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System uses a patented molecule, which cleans and protects intake valves and fuel injectors. Enriching the molecule with nitrogen makes it more thermally stable and therefore more effective in tough engine conditions with higher temperatures and increased pressures. This is particularly important in modern fuel-efficient engines. The Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System gives all three grades the ability to clean up performance-robbing gunk from intake valves and fuel injectors. Industry data indicate and car manufacturers recognize that a clean engine is more fuel-efficient, produces fewer emissions and allows vehicles to perform at their best.
What does nitrogen do and how will it help the performance of my vehicle?
The Shell Nitrogen Enriched cleaning system uses a patented molecule, which cleans and protects intake values and fuel injectors. Enriching the molecule and the overall cleaning system with nitrogen makes it more thermally stable and therefore more effective in tough engine conditions with higher temperatures and increased pressures.
This is particularly important in modern fuel-efficient engines. The Nitrogen Enriched cleaning system gives all three grades the ability to clean up engine gunk on critical engine parts, and auto manufacturers recognize that a clean engine is more fuel efficient, produces fewer emissions, and allows vehicles to perform at their best.
Where does gunky build-up on an engine come from?
Carbon deposit build-up on critical engine parts is the result of various chemical processes that occur in the engine during its operation. These processes can create a residue, which consists of carbon particles that may build up on intake valves and fuel injectors. Shell Gasoline are designed to actively shield to help keep your engine clean and protect it from this performance-robbing gunk.
Is engine gunk harmful?
Gunk on intake valves and fuel injectors can result in deposit-related drivability problems. Gunk acts like a sponge, absorbing and trapping gasoline, and making the combustion less efficient. Industry and literature data also refer to potential engine performance problems. The industry data indicates that a cleaner engine can perform as originally designed, making it more fuel efficient with lower emissions. Shell Gasolines contain a patented formula exclusive to Shell designed to actively shield against performance-robbing gunk in all three grades.
Why is it important for companies like Shell to develop technologies and products that support today’s engine technologies?
We work with car manufacturers to gain good insights into upcoming engine technologies. As a result, we know that some new engine technologies, including direct-injection, present specific challenges that must be managed to help maintain optimal vehicle performance. For example, today’s direct-injection engines expose fuel to higher temperatures and require more thermally stable products like Shell Gasolines to protect critical engine parts and maintain performance because even small disturbances caused by gunk can have negative impacts.
Since Shell Gasolines clean up engine gunk in all three grades, what makes Shell V-Power NiTRO+ different?
Shell V-Power NiTRO+ is our best, most advanced product. It contains the highest concentration of the Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System to provide maximum protection against performance-robbing gunk for optimal performance. Shell V-Power NiTRO+helps to seek and destroy engine gunk that lower-quality gasolines can leave behind faster than other grades of Nitrogen Enriched Gasoline. Shell V-Power NiTRO+ has been successfully tested in today’s modern direct injection engines, proving that this new cleaning system performs under the toughest conditions found in these engines. Shell V-Power NiTRO+ provides the BEST TOTAL engine protection you can get.
I see all brands collecting fuels from the terminal - so aren’t all fuels the same?
There are actually two key components to a gasoline—the base fuel and the additive system. Base fuel quality is generally the same in an individual terminal. However, Shell blends a unique and patented additive package with enriched Nitrogen into all three grades of Shell gasoline before it is dispensed from the terminal. The Shell Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System contains a patented formula, exclusive to Shell that cleans and protects intake valves and fuel injectors from gunk left behind by lower quality gasolines. No other gasoline protects better!
How is Shell V-Power® NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline different than Shell Regular and Shell Mid grades?
- Shell V-Power NiTRO+ provides the BEST TOTAL engine protection you can get, with unbeatable protection against gunk and corrosion, and superior protection against wear.
- Shell V-Power NiTRO+ is the highest octane Shell gasoline.
- Shell V-Power NiTRO+ is the best, most advanced Shell gasoline designed to deliver optimum performance through patented technology.
- Shell V-Power NiTRO+ contains the highest concentration of the New Shell Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System
- Shell V-Power Nitro+ premium gasoline contains 0% Ethanol.
- Shell V-Power Nitro+ premium gasoline removes an average of 60% of performance-robbing gunk on intake valves left behind by low quality premium gasolines. And it starts with your very first tank
- With seven times the cleaning agents required by federal standards, Shell V-Power Nitro+ premium gasoline helps optimize the performance of your engine.
Is Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline safe for all vehicles?
- Shell V-Power NiTRO+ is effective in all gasoline-powered engines found in conventional, modern and hybrid vehicles as well as motorcycles, snowmobiles, and leisure marine vehicles.
- Tested in today’s advanced turbo-charged and direct injection engines, Shell V-Power NiTRO+ helps resist thermal breakdown at high temperatures, actively protecting against gunk under tough engine conditions.
Why spend more money on Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline?
- Shell V-Power NiTRO+ is for drivers who care about their engines and want them to perform at their best. As our most advanced gasoline, with the highest concentration of the Shell Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System, Shell V-Power provides maximum protection of intake valves and fuel injectors.
- A clean engine can result in overall optimal vehicle performance as well as reduced emissions and better fuel efficiency.
- If a vehicle’s owners manual recommends a high octane fuel, a driver should consider purchasing a premium gasoline like Shell V-Power NiTRO+.
- Premium grade gasoline references octane level, but is not always equal in quality. Using lower-quality premium gasolines can allow gunk to build up on critical engine parts. Tests prove that Shell V-Power NiTRO+ can begin removing build-up with the first tank and help protect against the formation of new build-up.
- No other premium protects better, it’s designed for improved performance
How quickly does Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline work to clean up engine gunk?
Shell V-Power NiTRO+ is designed to begin act instantly in removing gunky build-up left behind by lower-quality gasolines.
What is the octane rating of Shell V-Power?
The octane level of Shell V-Power NiTRO+Premium Gasoline is 91 octane, depending upon your market. The octane rating tells you its anti-knock abilities - or how it will prevent engine knocking. It's important to point out however that octane is not the only factor to consider when choosing a gasoline.
The benefits of Shell V-Power NiTRO+, for example, go beyond high octane. With more than seven times the minimum amount of cleaning agents required by federal standards, Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline cleans up gunk faster than Shell Regular grade gasoline and helps provide maximum protection for optimum performance. And it contains 0% ethanol at every station in Canada.
Does a vehicle benefit from increased octane?
Different vehicles require different levels of octane. To determine the appropriate octane level for your vehicle, check your owner's manual for the manufacturer's recommendation. It is important, however to note that not all premium gasolines are the same.
Just like using lower quality regular gasoline can lead to gunky build-up, using lower quality premium gasolines can have the same impact on your engine. Using a high-quality premium gasoline can provide benefits that go beyond octane. For example, Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline is our best gasoline containing the highest concentration of our Shell Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System, designed to clean up faster than Shell Regular grade gasoline and help provide maximum protection for optimum engine performance.
What is the link between Shell and the Ferrari Formula One Racing Team?
Shell began its technical partnership with Enzo Ferrari in the 1930s and in 1947 the first Ferrari drove out of the factory gates in Maranello, Italy, powered by Shell gasoline. Every time you see the red Formula One Ferrari race car making its way around the circuit, it is powered by fuel specially developed, manufactured and supplied by Shell.
As Ferrari's technology consultant, we have developed expertise and knowledge in matching the correct fuel to new engine designs and technical developments made by Ferrari. This ability is well recognized as being an essential element of their winning team. In fact, the Shell scientists who work with the Ferrari engineers at the track are the same people who are driving developments for Shell road fuels.
The Ferrari relationship reiterates our commitment and passion to bringing technologically advanced fuels to our customers. The information from the testing with Ferrari is used in the continuing development of Shell V-Power Premium Gasoline for cars on the road.
Does Shell V-Power Premium Gasoline meet the TOP TIER Gasoline Detergent Standard?
Yes, all Shell Gasolines exceed the TOP TIER Gasoline Detergent Standard and are Top Tier certified.
From gas tank to intake valves - The Shell Gasoline fuel journey