Shell’s Million Miles Giveaway Contest– October 30, 2017 – January 7, 2018
- General: Participation in the Shell Million Miles Giveaway Contest, (the “Contest”) constitutes full and unconditional agreement and acceptance of these Contest rules (“Official Rules”), which are final on all matters relating to the Contest.
- No Purchase Necessary: To obtain an Entry without purchase, send a request for one with a 200-word hand written essay on the “Joys of Driving”, together with a self-addressed postage-paid envelope to: Shell “Million Miles Giveaway Contest”, 2050 Codlin Crescent, Unit #3, Toronto, Ontario, M9W 7J2. An Entry confirmation and a copy of the Official Rules will be returned in each self-addressed, postage-paid envelope received. Only one request can be made per external envelope. Requests must be received by December 18, 2017 at the above address for timely processing and return; any requests received after such date will not be processed.
- Sponsor: The Contest is sponsored by Shell Canada Products, 400 4th Ave SW, Calgary, AB T2P 2H5 (“Sponsor”).
- Contest Giveaway Period: The Contest opens at 12:00:01 a.m. on October 30, 2017 and closes at 11:59:59 p.m. on January 7, 2018, (the “Contest Period”). All time references in these Official Rules refer to Eastern Standard Time.
- Eligibility: The Contest is open to legal residents of Canada who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry with a valid AIR MILES® Collector Account. Employees of Shell Canada Limited, its parent entity, subsidiaries and affiliates are not eligible.
- How To Enter: To enter the Contest, simply make any purchase from a participating Shell retail fuel station (excluding Shell Flying J locations) in Canada during the Contest Period and swipe (or key in) a valid AIR MILES Collector Card Number at the time of transaction (each, an "Entry"). Eligible purchases exclude tobacco, Shell gift cards, and service bay repairs. One Entry per eligible purchase.
For the purposes of these Contest Rules, the Entrant is the individual in whose name the AIR MILES Collector Account has been established and this is the individual to whom the prize will be awarded if he/she is selected and declared a winner.
The Sponsor is not responsible for failed, late, lost, incomplete, undeliverable, incorrect, damaged or misdirected Entries for any reason. All Entries become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned or acknowledged other than as outlined in Rule 2.
- Prizes: A total of Ten (10) Prizes to be awarded, each consisting of One million (1,000,000) AIR MILES Reward Miles, (each a “Prize” and collectively the “Prizes”).
The approximate retail value of AIR MILES® Reward Miles prize depends on the chosen method of redemption, available reward options at the time of redemption, and the set preference between AIR MILES Cash and AIR MILES Dream balances. If redeemed with AIR MILES Cash, 95 Cash Miles can be used in-store for $10 towards purchases at participating AIR MILES Partners or 95 Cash Miles can be used online for eVouchers for $10 worth of value at participating Reward Partners. If redeemed for flights (1200 Reward Mile minimum required for flight redemption), value depends on destination chosen, date of travel and use of multiple carriers or suppliers. For example, one return economy flight in low season departure from Toronto, Ontario to Winnipeg, Manitoba is 2000 AIR MILES Reward Miles and has an approximate value of $525.00 (Canadian) excluding taxes. Winner must pay applicable taxes, related transportation fees, governmental levies, excess baggage and other non-ticket costs. The value of AIR MILES® Reward Miles used for non-flight reward options depends on reward options in effect at the time of redemption. AIR MILES Reward Miles prize is subject to the terms and conditions of the AIR MILES Reward Program as amended from time to time. AIR MILES Reward Miles prize is not transferable or convertible to cash and must be accepted as awarded.
- Odds Of Winning: Odds of winning a Prize depend on the total number of Entries received and the day on which each Entry is received. No limit of Entries per person per day during the Contest Period regardless of method of entry used. Entrants may increase odds of winning by successfully submitting multiple valid Entries during the Contest Period in accordance with these Official Rules.
- Prize Selection: One (1) Entry will be selected per week (each a “Selected Entrant”) during the Contest Period by random draw from all Entries received (each a “Weekly Draw”). There will be Ten (10) consecutive Weekly Draws commencing on Friday, November 10, 2017, held once per week every Friday, until January 12, 2018 at or about 11:00 a.m. EST. Weekly Draws are cumulative and therefore Entries will be eligible for all remaining Weekly Draws following the day on which the Entry is received.
- Notification: Selected Entrants will be notified by email or telephone within five (5) business days of selection using the email address or telephone number that is currently associated with the AIR MILES Collector Number used to obtain the entry. The Sponsor shall have no liability if the notification is lost, intercepted or not received by a Selected Entrant for any reason. A response to the Notification must be received by the Sponsor within five (5) business days thereof, failing which any non-responsive Selected Entrant will be disqualified and will forfeit any applicable Prize. Any Selected Entrant that has been disqualified shall have no recourse against the Sponsor and the Sponsor shall have no liability or responsibility to disqualified Selected Entrants.
- Declaration Of Winners And Awarding Prizes: To be declared a Prize winner and to receive a Prize, Selected Entrants must 1) meet all Contest eligibility requirements and comply with the Official Rules and 2) correctly answer, unaided, a time-sensitive, skill-testing mathematical question. The Sponsor may require Selected Entrants to verify eligibility and may, in its sole discretion, disqualify any Selected Entrant that cannot verify all Contest eligibility requirements.
If a Selected Entrant is disqualified or forfeits a Prize, an alternate Selected Entrant will be selected by random draw from all remaining Entries until a winner is declared.
The Sponsor shall have no further obligation to the Prize winners other than the Prize awarded. Prizes will be electronically deposited into the AIR MILES Collector Account of the Prize winners. Allow two to four weeks for deposit. To ensure that the winner receives the Prize in his or her preferred balance, winner should ensure his or her balance preferences (AIR MILES Cash balance and AIR MILES Dream balance) are set as desired prior to the Prize being posted in his/her Collector Account. Prizes are not transferable and cannot be exchanged, substituted or redeemed for cash, except that the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, substitute a Prize for another Prize or Prizes of equal or greater value.
A list of Prize winners will be posted at www.shell.ca/million within four weeks following the end of the Contest Period.
- General: By participating, all Entrants agree a) to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor; and b) to release, indemnify and hold harmless the Sponsor, LoyaltyOne, their affiliates, subsidiaries and independent contractors, and their respective directors, officers, shareholders, employees, agents and representatives, including advertising and promotion agencies, from any and all liability for claims/damages, including but not limited to claims/damages for personal injury (including death) or property damage, with respect to or arising from participation in the Contest and acceptance, possession, use or misuse of a Prize, or for claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or intrusion of privacy.
- Use Of Information: Entrants acknowledge and agree that, by entering the Contest, they consent to the Sponsor’s collection, use and disclosure of their personal information for the purpose of administering the Contest and for internal analysis of participant demographics for future marketing. Entrants who win a Prize also consent to the use and disclosure of their personal information, including name, likenesses, city of residence and/or statement about the Prizes, by the Sponsors and their agents or representatives, for advertising, marketing and publicity purposes, in any media, to the extent permitted by applicable law, with no further compensation other than awarding of the Prize.
- Legal Jurisdiction: Subject to Rule 16 below, by entering the Contest, Entrants agree: (i) that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest or any Prize award shall be resolved in accordance with the laws of the Province of Alberta, and (ii) to irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the Province of Alberta over any claim or matter arising under or in connection with the Contest or these Official Rules.
- For Residents Of Quebec: Any dispute respecting the conduct or organization of the Contest in Québec may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux (“Régie“) in Quebec for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a Prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement
- Liability: The Sponsor and LoyaltyOne shall not be held responsible for any problems, errors or negligence that may arise or occur in connection with the Contest. The Sponsor and LoyaltyOne accepts no responsibility for loss, damage or claims caused by or resulting from the Contest or acceptance of a Prize. The Sponsor and LoyaltyOne will not be responsible for late, lost, undeliverable, illegible, incomplete, falsified, tampered with, altered or destroyed Entries for any reason and all such Entries will be void. In the event it is determined that an Entrant has entered in a fashion not sanctioned by these Official Rules and/or has submitted more than the number of Entries permitted by these Official Rules, the Entrant will be disqualified and all of the Entries submitted by the Entrant will be void. The Sponsor and LoyaltyOne is not responsible for any typographical, human or other error in the printing of the Contest and/or collateral advertising materials, administration of the Contest, processing of the Entries or in the announcement of the Prize winners or in any other materials or information associated with the Contest. The Sponsor and LoyaltyOne will not be liable, and does not assume any responsibility, for incorrect or inaccurate capture of Entry information, technical malfunctions, human or technical error, printing errors, lost, delayed or garbled data or transmissions, omission, interruption, deletion, defect or failures of any telephone or computer lines or networks, computer equipment, software or any combination thereof. Sponsor and LoyaltyOne is not responsible for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive information by the Sponsor or LoyaltyOne on account of technical problems, or on account of traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or any combination thereof.
The Sponsor reserves the right to terminate, suspend, or extend the Contest or to amend the Official Rules at any time and in any way, without prior notice.
- To the extent of any conflict or inconsistency between the English and the French version of the Official Rules, the English version shall govern.
®™ Trademarks of AIR MILES International Trading B.V. Used under license by LoyaltyOne, Co. and Shell Canada Products.
*Flight in social media advertising is based on a return flight originating and returning to same province. Availability and pricing may fluctuate based on travel dates ( Low season Jan 8-Feb 28, April 1 – May 31 and Sept 16-Dec 15th. High season Mar 1-31, June 1-Sept 15 and Dec 16 to Jan 7th) Collectors are responsible for paying applicable surcharges, fees and taxes on Air Travel Rewards. Contest rules do not supersede AirMiles Program rules.